1. Health

Stem Cell Breakthrough - Rodent Tooth Regenerated From Stem Cells

By August 15, 2009

Japanese researchers have successfully "grown" a new tooth for a very lucky rodent. Stem cells were used to create a "tooth germ" that harvested in the socket of the missing tooth. After 11 weeks, a fully functioning tooth erupted into the mouth of the mouse, eerily similar to the natural tooth eruption process. According to the study, the resulting tooth displayed essential characteristics of a normal tooth, such as hardness, shape, responsiveness to temperature and stimuli, and the ability to allow for chewing.

Are dentures and dental implants a thing of the past? The researchers have yet to test this procedure on humans, but the mere fact that the possibility of regenerating new teeth is simply fascinating. Even more noteworthy is the fact that this is the first time scientists have created a "fully functioning three-dimensional organ replacement." A significant starting point, the possibility of regenerating functioning organs, based on the model of this tiny regenerated tooth, is astounding!

Comments
August 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm
(1) Cosmetic Dentistry says:

Leaving the undoubtedly significant effects this may have on humanity in general aside, the dentist’s office could be quite a different place in the near future; a missing tooth may simply be ‘grown back’ in relatively short period of time. Now that is progress.

September 26, 2009 at 5:02 pm
(2) Thornhill Dentist says:

This is quite a remarkable dental breakthrough, but I do not see it replacing dental implants in the near future. Any time you are dealing with stem cells, there are very strict regulations and testing that must be done prior to acceptance on human subjects.

September 28, 2009 at 12:31 pm
(3) Brian L. says:

That’s great! But how much would such a procedure cost? Would new teeth cost an arm and a leg? LOL

October 7, 2009 at 7:46 am
(4) magicscience2020 says:

I am absolutely fascinated with this new technology called regenerative medicine, I am second year in nursing, this will be my future career :) )

Is it happening now in humans? I hope so, victims of car accidents will have a new life.

Brilliant!!!

October 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm
(5) S. says:

I hope human tooth regeneration is a real possibility in the near future! I have always had perfect teeth, never a problem except a cavity or two. I recently lost one of my front teeth and have been devastated and completely obsessed with this for months now. I had a beautiful smile before I lost my tooth and though the replacement doesn’t look bad, it’s not the same. I’m afraid to smile, and the fake one feels weird and gives me headaches every day. I’ll be first in line no matter the cost!

May 24, 2010 at 11:32 am
(6) Damianmsk says:

dental pulp is very important source for stem cells extraxtion.. :)

June 26, 2010 at 9:01 pm
(7) Toronto Dentist in Etobicoke says:

Weird science.

As cool as it sounds, the practicality would be questionable.

I’m imagining John Cleese as a dentist syaing, “Here’s your new tooth. Sorry it’s shaped like a pumpkin. That will be $250k. And how will you be paying for that today?”

Joe Bulger DDS
Visit my Toronto Dentist Smile Blog

August 5, 2010 at 7:58 am
(8) rich says:

I am starting to save money for this, i hope it comes out soon, i could opt for an implant however having a real tooth seems to be much better and worth the money.

August 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(9) Toronto Dentists Etobicoke says:

Shawn, the regeneration potential could be huge for damaged tissues. Spinal injuries for example.

Joe :D