1. Health

Can Licorice Really Treat and Prevent Tooth Decay?

By March 1, 2012

There's a new study from the American Chemical Society (ACS) that has shown that the properties in dried licorice root can actually kill the bacteria that causes tooth decay and gum disease. This same licorice root is commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine as flavoring and to help enhance the potency of other ingredients.

You are probably most familiar with licorice as a beloved candy. What is not commonly known is that although we still name this well-known candy licorice here in the U.S., it is not actually licorice. The real ingredient that gives the candy its licorice flavor is the oil of anise.

The licorice addressed in this study is an actual dried licorice root used by natural health practitioners for medical conditions and illnesses (mainly respiratory and digestive). It is important to note that modern medicine has not approved the use of licorice as a treatment for any ailment and patients should always speak with their doctors prior to taking any herbal supplement.

The properties in dried licorice root that appear to play a role in fighting tooth decay and gum disease are known as licoricidin and licorisoflavan A. ACS has shown that these substances have proven effective at killing two of the bacteria that causes cavities as well as the bacteria that causes gum disease.

This is exciting information for both the dental professional and patient. If we can safely and effectively kill the bacteria which causes 80% of dental problems, then imagine what that would mean for the many children and adults who do not have regular access to routine dental care.

Comments
March 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm
(1) Pamela Waterman says:

Thanks for writing about this. I hope we learn more about how it can be used – in what form and “doses.”

March 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm
(2) getting pregnant says:

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was
extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for first-time blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

March 7, 2012 at 6:27 am
(3) Marlo | Kids Dentist says:

It’s a new discovery that is truly beneficial to the public specially to those who can;t access dental care regularly due to some financial instances. I believe if they will prove that Licorice has no harmful side effects when used by human it will surely be a benefit to many. And I assure,most of dental products like toothpaste will have Licorice as their ingredient.

March 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(4) Austin_Dentist says:

Very fascinating. I’m looking forward to seeing more as these studies develop.

March 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm
(5) WebDevelopment says:

You have been had. When confronted by the rhaett of a root canal, I consulted my regular dentist who told me that after the $K plus procedure the life span of the rotten tooth after a root canal would be about one year. At that point I would face another bout of infection followed by another $K procedure and from there go through another painful bout of infection at which point an oral surgeon would probably extract the tooth and then I could consider options such as implants.The oral surgeon charged $250 to pull the offending tooth. As long as I don’t smile too widely, no one but me and him are any the wiser, and the dire predictions of jaw decay have not come about. I have over the years lost three or four molars not including wisdom teeth.In my neck of the woods poor people go to a nice dentist who on charity weekends pulls all their teeth at one time and then they do whatever they can afford thereafter.Hope you have a good outcome!

March 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(6) Mulch 47404 says:

Sometimes I contemplate if folks truly take time to write something original, or are they only just dishing out words to fill a site. This surely doesn’t fit that mold. Thank you for taking the time to write with awareness. Now And Then I look at a page and question whether they even proofread it.Fantastic work with this article.

March 25, 2012 at 12:45 am
(7) Akhan says:

Thank you very much for this information.

March 25, 2012 at 12:48 am
(8) Akhan says:

This is great Info. Thanks

April 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(9) farahnaz says:

thanks for sharing your information.thats great