Tooth Aches and Dental Emergencies
From Shawn Watson, former About.com Guide
From a broken tooth to losing a tooth altogether, a slight tooth ache to severe dental pain, a dental emergency can happen anywhere, at anytime. It is very important for everyone to understand what needs to be done if such a problem occurs. Discover the causes, treatments and symptoms for many common dental ailments.
Like any emergency, it is important to stay calm and assess the situation. You should call for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) if you feel the dental emergency warrants immediate care and attention.
When you have a toothache, every movement, thought, sound -- even touch -- is overshadowed by throbbing pain of a toothache. Here are some possible causes for your tooth pain and ways to relieve the pain until you can see your dentist.
- Why Does My Tooth Hurt?
- Is My Tooth Cracked?
- Over-the-Counter Pain Relief Medications for Dental Use
- Tooth Ache Relief for an Abscessed Tooth
- How to Relieve Pain From a Cracked or Broken Tooth
- How to Manage a Tooth Ache Caused by Tooth Decay
- The Use of Clove in Dentistry
- Coping With Teeth Whitening Sensitivity
What you need to know if you have a dental emergency.
- Treatment of Sports Related Dental Injuries
- Should I go to the Hospital or Dentist?
- What You Should do if You Fracture or Dislocate Your Jaw
- Help...My Tooth Was Knocked Out!
- If You Have a Broken or Cracked Tooth
- My Braces Are Loose..What Should I Do?
Certain oral conditions, like canker sores, can be very painful and not knowing what is causing it can be frustrating. Learn what to look for and what to expect with problematic oral conditions as well as ways you can treat them at home or when you should seek medical attention.
- What is Oral Thrush?
- What to do if You Bite Your Lip or Tongue
- Managing Pain After Oral Surgery
- What Are Canker Sores?
- What Causes Canker Sores?
- Which Canker Sore Treatments Work?
- When Should You Have Your Canker Sore Checked?
There are several oral diseases that can be the cause for your discomfort. From gum disease to oral cancer, discover the symptoms to look for, the available treatments and how to cope with your disease.
- What You Need to Know About Oral Cancer
- Risks Associated With Oral Cancer
- What is Salivary Gland Cancer?
- How to Screen for Oral Cancer
- What is a Biopsy?
- How to Treat Your Gum Disease
- Your Gum’s Worst Nightmare – Periodontitis
- What is Gingivitis?
Do you have jaw pain and grind or clench your teeth? Have you been diagnosed with a TMJ disorder and want to know what it is and how to manage the pain or discomfort associated with it? Learn more about TMJ and what you can do if you are one of the millions of people who have TMJ problems?