Next to dressing up as their favorite alter-ego, your kids are probably looking forward to, and are salivating over, the amount of Halloween candy they will receive this year. From a parents stand point, the massive amount of candy that will soon be entering our homes is rather frightening; to say the least.
If you are looking for an alternative to Halloween candy to either hand out to all of the ghouls and goblins that will arrive on your door step or you are trying to figure out a way to convince your kids to hand over their candy for a special Halloween treat, I have put together a list of the top Halloween candy alternatives for you to consider picking up for Halloween this year.
- Halloween Vampire Teeth - Vampire teeth are a fun way to scare your friends into thinking you've turned into "The Count" himself! Available in glow-in-the-dark or scary colors, vampire teeth are a great alternative to candy.
- Halloween Stickers and Temporary Tattoo's - Cheap and inexpensive, Halloween themed stickers and temporary tattoo's can be found almost anywhere and kids love them.
- Halloween Bubbles - Who doesn't love bubbles? Halloween themed bubbles can be handed out individually or packaged together with a selection of various Halloween goodies. If you can't find bubbles that have a Halloween theme, package up a bottle of bubbles in a scary Halloween gift bag.
- Halloween Pencils and Erasers - Pencils and erasers are a simple and inexpensive way to keep Halloween fun and exciting for school aged children.
- Glow-In-The-Dark Bracelets, Necklaces, and Glow Sticks - This is probably my top pick for an alternative to Halloween candy. Glow-in-the-dark bracelets, necklaces and glow sticks can be purchased in packs of 10 for around $1.00 and are a real hit with kids of all ages. When I hand these out, very rarely do they make it into the candy sack - the kids will wear them instantly!
- Sugar free Gum and Candy - If you are looking for a tooth-friendly Halloween treat to hand out, consider sugar free gum or candy. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that has been shown to reduce tooth decay, stop the progression of existing decay, and in some cases reverse existing tooth decay that was previously detected in the tooth.
- Toothbrush and Floss - Give your trick-or-treaters a special gift at Halloween by packaging up a toothbrush and floss in a Halloween gift bag. The kids will be surprised to find a new toothbrush and floss in their treat bags, and their parents will likely be very thankful to see a new toothbrush and floss to remove all of the sugar from their teeth.
When you consider the cost of handing out candy, searching for an inexpensive Halloween candy alternative isn't all that hard. Most dollar stores are packed full of fun Halloween toys for a very low cost.
It is best to keep in mind that you don't have to take the fun out of Halloween by completley restricting the amount of candy you allow your children to consume. There are a number of fun ways to manage all of the Halloween candy that your kids will bring home after a night full of trick-or-treating. Binging on Halloween candy puts your kids a risk for tooth decay and gum disease. Learning how to keep Halloween fun and at the same time, keeping your kids teeth healthy will not only benefit them now, but in the future as well.