Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon corn meal
- 3 cups biscuit mix (purchased, or from below)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Spray-type vegetable oil, or vegetable oil with a brush
- 2 to 3 cups pizza sauce (purchased)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated cheeses (mozzarella, Asiago, mild cheddar, Parmesan)
- Your choice of green peppers, sausage, bacon (cooked and crumbled), pepperoni slices, mushrooms, onion, etc., chopped in
- small pieces.
- Biscuit Mix:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry powdered milk
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
Biscuit MixIn a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork. Makes a generous 3 cups of mix. Keep extra mix refrigerated in a sealed bowl or bag; it will keep for a few weeks.
Preheat oven to 450 F
Sprinkle cornmeal all over a cookie sheet or pizza pan. In a large bowl, with a spoon, stir together the biscuit mix and the water. Sprinkle your hands with flour, then pat the dough into a 12-inch circle or square, directly on the pan. Build up a bit of dough around the edge to make a rim, for holding the sauce. Spray or brush the dough lightly with oil, then bake for 4 minutes at 450 F.
Carefully pour pizza sauce on top [of the pizza] then add grated cheese and the other toppings of your choice. Bake completed pizza for an additional 13 minutes at 450 F, checking that the edges are just golden, to keep them soft.
Source: Pamela Waterman. "The Braces Cookbook - Recipes You (and Your Orthodontist) Will Love".
Pamela Waterman. "The Braces Cookbook - Recipes You (and Your Orthodontist) Will Love".